Monday, January 11, 2010

Patches ( and a super simple killer roast beef)

I don't have too much to talk about today, and if you know me in real life, then that must come as a shock to you! I am rarely without words. I do want to talk just a little bit about my day yesterday, so kindly bare with me and then I will share a recipe for some yummy easy pot roast!

Yesterday I was going about my normal Sunday routine, cleaning and laundry. I put a load of whites in the washer and went to switch the load over when I heard the washer stop. I didn't think it had been long enough to finish a load but I was busy and thought I had lost track of time. I opened the washer to find it was still full of water! Great just what I need, I had at least 5 more loads to wash and we are by no means in a position to buy a new one. I kicked the washer, unplugged it and plugged it back, turned the dial a couple times hoping it would start again, it didn't. Then I realized that there must be something that tells the washer that the lid is shut so it will spin. Sure enough there was and it was broken.
I once met a man in the valley that swore all you needed was a Phillips head screwdriver, vice grips, pocket knife and duct/electrical tape and you could fix anything. Well it was a good thing because that was about all I could find! So I pulled the little mechanisim out and looked at it studied it, I realized what I needed to do. I needed a rubberband and vice grips STAT. So I patched the washer, it works, but I soon realized that it wouldn't work forever, it was only patched.
Often in life we do the same thing, we patch our life with something that makes it better for the time being, when fixing it right the first time is so simple. It is so simple to just take a couple minutes from your hectic day and talk to God. Ask him to be in your life. That is a permanent fix.


Psalm 55:22 Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken...

1Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you...




Sunday dinner!

This is SO super simple and it just melts in your mouth!


1 roast (any cut will do, but don't get one too lean the fat helps keep the meat juicy! Rump roast is my fav)
5 red potatoes peeled (or unpeeled if you prefer) and quartered
small bag of baby carrots
1 onion peeled
1 brown gravy pack (any brand will do)
Worcestershire sauce
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

put roast in a skillet with a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, sear on all sides.

Put carrots, potatoes and onion ( I use a whole onion b/c I am the only one that eats it, you can quarter it if you like) in bottom of crock pot. place seared roast on top(fat side Up VERY IMPORTANT). Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, add the packet of gravy mix. Put enough water in the pot to come no more than halfway up on the roast. (I put water in the skillet and get all the good juices that were seared in the pan). Turn your crock pot on low and cook about 10 hours (if I need to cook it faster I put it on hi-lo auto shift), the longer and lower you let it cook the more tender and juicy it will be.

I was going to add a picture for you but the family dug in so fast I didn't have time to :)

Tonight we are having Chicken Parmesan YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment