Saturday, January 9, 2010

Football, Food, Family & Fat

It's funny the things that run through my mind when thinking of my next blog entry. I come up with all these ideas and things I want to post but none of them really go together.
So today is Saturday and it's playoff season (Go Dallas!! I know, I know don't give me too much crap over it) I remember growing up and watching football with Dad, he was and still is a Redskins fan, I liked the Redskins for a long time because after all I was a Daddy's girl. My preference in teams changed about as fast as my taste in clothes. It all depended on either who was good, who my friends liked etc. Some where a long the line I settled on Dallas and it stuck. I have been a fan for years now, and I have managed to corrupt my oldest in to a Dallas fan as well. I tried with the girl, but as said above "daddy's girl". She cheers no matter who is playing and says "SCORE! GOOOO REDSKINS" I have to admit that it is cute, just wrong team, princess.

So this is where we turn to food, with the playoffs on and the house is filled with my Husbands friends, in and out all coming for some great food and football. Now I have never, ever been one to like the boxed or processed foods, just not my style. If you were coming to Mama's house to eat you brought a huge appetite because it was good (yeah I will toot my own horn) and there was enough to feed an army (literally). So today is a lazy day and we ran over to the Walmart to get some groceries and the Husband wanted some "dip". Now this "dip" is the easiest thing in the world to make, but it does have a WHOLE block of processed cheese (hang on arteries we are clogging up). The guys eat it all day long and it is so filling that it gets me out of supper (and dishes for that matter). So I figured what the hey, I am starting the big "D" on Monday with some girlfriends so lets have one last HOORAH.
Now for this recipe you need the following.
1 Block of processed cheese
1-2 lbs of ground beef (depends on how you like your meat to cheese ratio)
a can of Rotel tomatoes with Chiles (the guys here like the hot but I like the mild and add a little bit of Cumin and cayenne pepper spice to mine)
Brown and drain your ground beef dice the cheese into cubes open the can of tomatoes throw it all in a crock pot and wah-lah the guys are fed!
Now if you leave the lid on or leave it on high for too long it will get watery, just either remove the lid or cut the heat down and it should thicken back up for ya. (and I drain some of the juice off my tomatoes but you don't have to)

Another good one I like to serve is a nice little easy recipe I picked up from my Nanny. These are great and get eaten up quick! (you also have to forgive me, I am one of those cooks that "eyeballs" measurements, I will have to do better for you guys!)
Flour tortillas
Soft spread butter or a stick softened
Jar of pimentos (drained)
Cumin
Monterrey Jack Cheese (shredded)
Cheddar Cheese (or Colby if you like the milder cheeses)
heat your oven to (and I am guessing again sorry) I would say 375
Mix your cheese and pimentos (or green chiles or whatever you like) a sprinkle of cumin (it is more potent than you think)
Spread butter on each tortilla and pop in the oven (not very long you have to watch them) until they start to bubble up and brown just a tad.
take them out and sprinkle your cheese mixture on them (don't get too close to the edges or it will melt over)
Pop them back in the oven and bake just 'til the cheese is melted
Cut with a pizza cutter into 1/4s and there you have a cheap, easy snack sure to please!

Now back to our trip to Wal-mart and the big diet on Monday. Eating Healthy can be expensive! Also as I mentioned before, I like home-made good ole southern cooking. I once had the best brown beans of my life by a lady in the valley, she put and I quote "2 scoops of lard" in her beans, my heart probably couldn't take but so much but man, my mouth could eat them ALL DAY! Just about everything I cook, is breaded, fried, buttered, salted, cooked in side meat etc.. I am going to attempt to eat some chicken breast (not fried of course) some salmon and a lot of veggies. So I went through the store and got some goodies and walking through the produce section a country gal just can't pass up a nice looking bundle of kale. Now I hesitated a minute because can you really cook a healthy pot of kale? I picked up 2 bundles and decided, there has to be a way! So over to the tater (I said tater just for you Steph) aisle I go and I see this "Wiley's Healthy Southern Classic Green seasoning" Now I think well There ya go! So at .98 who can pass it up right? So I get home and start putting the groceries away and think what does this wondermuss concoction contain? ingredient #4 Dehydrated rendered bacon fat..seriously? That CAN NOT be healthy?!? I mean what made a guy say "this is "healthy" lets fry up some bacon, save the grease and dehydrate it!" Now it claims to be fat free (how?) and cholesterol free so we will try it out and then blog about it later :P)

Hopefully this Diet works out for me, I am not trying to lose a ton of weight, but tone up and drop a few (20) pounds from pregnancy. I will when I have a good recipe share it with you guys!

So until tomorrow!
God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment