Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A little about me and 2 important men.

I was a lucky child, I had when born, 1 Great-Great Grandmother, 2 Great- Grandmothers, 1 Great-Grandfather and both Maternal and Paternal Grandparents. I didn't realize how special that really was until later in life. My Great-Great Grandmother died when I was still too young to remember. But the rest of these wonderful people left a lasting impression on my life. Sadly, My Great Grandparents have all passed. My Grandaddy passed away (2 years ago this October) probably the hardest Death I have dealt with to date.

That is me and Grandaddy ^^ Handsome man, huh?

I am sad because I miss him, I wish I had seen him just one more time but I know he is happier with Jesus than he could ever be here, it was his life goal, to meet Jesus and he crossed the finish line with flying colors. I talked to him on the phone the week that he died. It was strange because he said "Well, I will see ya when I see ya" Which is what he often said, but this time it was different, told me to hug the kids for him. Maybe he always said that but something made me think...hmmm but I still never expected it. I have some of THE greatest people in my family.
Being a female, I guess you would think that the females in my life have had the hugest impact, and though they have in some ways, the Men in my life have been huge-HUGE impacts. My Mother's family and my Father's are so different, it is like entering different worlds when you visit them but yet still the same. Weird I know.

This man, is Pawt. I call him Pawt because he was supposed to be "Paw" and my little sister couldn't say it, I remember when they urged her to say "PAW" and it came out "Pawt" We were in their basement and Pawt laughed so hard, that contagious laugh and said That is stickin'. And it has.

Also equally handsome. You can see the wisdom just from his face. This Man, my Grandfather is me. Weird but stick with me. This is where I get my stubborn ways, my hard-headedness, but it is also where I get my passion, my persistence, my drive. We are so much alike. It is actually kind of scary :).

My Dad's family (and myself) are strange or so I have been told, it is completely normal to me. We call each other on the need to basis, we don't "interfere" with each others lives, it is a known fact that we love each other deeply and don't have the "need" to tell each other daily, it is a given. It sounds bad typing it out. It really isn't THAT horrible though. Or maybe it is, and maybe this is the reason for this blog post.

I have so many fond childhood memories and looking back it isn't like we were wealthy, but it was fun. It was the little things. This past Christmas, my ever so intelligent sister decided we should all write things (366 total between the 3 of us kids) on a piece of paper and put it in a jar and give it to my parents. We did and now, every day they open the jar and take one out. It is all little things, small memories that made HUGE impacts on our life. Sometimes now I do things with my kids and think to myself "that will be in her/his jar one day"

Well I need my Pawt to know that there are things in my jar that are from him too. There are huge memories, fond memories from both Grandparents houses. I could list them all but you'd get bored :)

2 things- 2 Christmases that are etched in my brain.

*One was a Christmas that I asked for this toy, it was a driving toy, I don't even remember what it was called, but I knew I wanted it I had circled it in the sales paper and asked my Mamaw and Grandaddy for it. I opened every gift that day and that toy wasn't there. Finally my Grandaddy stood up and walked to the closet I had to bend my neck WAYYYYY up to see him and he pulled it out. I said something to the extent of "I knew you got it" and everyone got a kick out of it. I was really young but I remember it.

*The other was a Christmas we had come to Virginia to see my Nanny and Pawt's. I don't remember exact words or even how old I was but they told us there were toys in the basement and we could have anything that we wanted. When we walked into the basement it was like a toy store, 2 of everything I could ever imagine (or it seemed that way at least). We only took what we really wanted, oddly. I assume they returned the rest but that was an Awesome Christmas.


So here, publicly, I am announcing bigger than any Humphries has ever announced. Greg/Pawt, I love you. I love you so very much and you have had a huge impact on my life. I am totally ok with the fact that people think we are weird because who wants to strive to be normal? Thanks, Thank you for everything. Everything you have done for me (even the things I don't know about) Thank you for praying for me, for loving me. "I don't want to be the Humphries that crossed the Mountain and never looked back".

No comments:

Post a Comment