Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lets EAT!

I love food, you know that already :)
I bet you can't guess what is in it, ASPARAGUS.

So Monday night I had a craving for some good food. So my imagination was flowing and I was thinking about everything I had in the fridge. Finally I decided what I wanted to do. This dish really came together and was more than easy to prepare. It can be a one-skillet meal, which is even better!


^That is the finished product of yummy-ness.

Here is how I made it, now I ate this ENTIRE serving alone ( hey, I like food) but you can probably serve 2 people with it (well, probably SHOULD serve 2 people with it, but I bet you can't resist to eat the whole bowl)

What you need:
3 to 4 slices of bacon diced up.
small onion sliced thinly (I think I used about a half a large onion)
1 Large garlic clove (I sliced mine because I like to bite into garlic but you can mince it too)
about 10-15 asparagus spears snapped off at the woody stem and then cut into bite sized pieces ( I use thin asparagus, I like it much better than the big thick pieces).
2 large handfuls of baby spinach, I would say maybe 2-3 cups (remember it cooks way down so even though it looks like a lot it won't be)
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast diced into bite sized pieces (I only used half a breast)
5 grape tomatoes halved
Fresh grated mozzarella, please grate your own, pretty please? (Mozzarella can be a pain to grate, just stick it in the freezer for a little while to make it firm if you hate grating it, don't leave it too long!!)

Now, because I was making my meal and my husbands meal I sautéed the chicken in another pan but you can sauté your chicken and bacon together.

You really don't need any oil at all, the bacon will give you enough but if you find it hasn't you can add a tad of EVOO (or butter :P) My bacon gave me too much grease so at the end I served with a slotted spoon to drain some of it.

So in the pan put your bacon and chicken, once your chicken is cooked and bacon is still soft (don't let it get too crunchy) add your onions and allow them to get a little soft, then add your garlic (it burns easily so I waited until adding the last of the greens to add it), asparagus and spinach.



Once your asparagus is cooked to your liking ( I like mine not too soft, not too crunchy) add your tomatoes, you want to just lightly sautée them to get the juices flowing.


Then...my favorite part...CHEESE. Cheese is the best thing in the world, even asparagus takes a back seat when it comes to cheese. Add your cheese until it is melted


That is it, see how easy? It is fresh (halfway healthy, that counts right?) and it is really so good. You could even go a step further and serve it mixed in some Penne pasta you could just toss it together in the skillet and add cheese or you could go a step further and add cheese and bake it. There are always endless possibilities with food, always!

No comments:

Post a Comment