Thursday, November 18, 2010

Wow It's been awhile.

I haven't done such a great job of keeping up with this "blogging" thing have I?

I have a few random things floating around in my head, I think to myself, I should blog that. Then someone cries MOMMA and I completely lose my train of thought. Maybe I should carry a pen and paper, like a comedian (remember that Seinfeld episode?)

Anyway, For those of you that are not on Facebook, I had a brawl with some Tortellini dough, I say hats off to the sweet Italian ladies that have the strength to fight that dough by hand until its perfect... Here is my rambling about that.

"I set off this week with ideas of a whole new menu, did my grocery shopping but couldn't find one KEY ingredient, Tortellini. I thought well I could run across town, but nonsense, I can make pasta, I do it all the time! I woke this morning to conquer the quest, scoured the internet for Ideas and techniques and decided HEY! I can do this!.



I decided to use 3 1/2 cups flour and 5 large eggs everything I read said to do this right on top of your workspace make a well in the flour so your eggs don't end up on your floor. Yeah, that didn't work right, so maybe it was really 3 1/2 cups flour and 4 large eggs plus an egg wash for my left foot.I was positive I could knead this dough until it was ready but after 15 minutes I decided that it would be best to use my food processor. 5 minutes in smoke plumed from the back of my poor appliance and I decided I should finish by hand. TWENTY FIVE minutes later I had the PERFECT dough, Thank you sweet baby Jesus. Now to let it rest, 30 minutes good I can keep my Facebook world up-to-date, and a beer, well deserved I believe.

Time to roll the dough, now pasta should be thin, very very thin, and I don't own a rolling pin ( a rum bottle does the trick) so off to the table rolling dough, I started to sing "just keep rolling, just keep rolling" FINALLY THIN DOUGH. I filled my pretty little pastas and posted them for the world to see.



I think I would do it again, I really do. But just a word from the wise (lol)when preparing tortellini pasta do the following

Drape your ENTIRE house in plastic, it makes clean up a breeze.

USE A BOWL! No matter what that little old lady told you, put your flour and eggs IN A BOWL.

Do NOT use a 15 year old food processor, buy a mixer for goodness sake.

Have LOTS of Alcoholic beverages on hand.

Then while your family scarfs down in minutes what took you hours ( a little sanity, an appliance and a foot with salmonella) Smile and realize, you just accomplished something."


It turned out really yummy, I don't think I could have purchased anything that tasted that great!

Then of course the weird way my mind works I started to think about all the fuss about the McDonald's happy meal toys and fighting obesity today. I thought about a story my dad would tell, either my Great-Grandmother or Great-Great, I cannot recall, she used to ring chickens (sorry animal lovers, the woman had to eat) BY HAND, as many of our ancestors did. Do you realize the strength it takes to do that? I bet she got that strong cleaning and kneading dough not to mention ringing her clothes dry. I mean it's not like they had Mr. Clean Erasers or HE washers and dryers. So basically THAT is why we are fat, technology. We have become so lazy, so reliant on technology that we are out of shape. If any of us had to live a day in the life of one of our ancestors I seriously think we would croak! (I however would have loved it, or at least that is what I tell myself).

I hate that "we" are blaming the world of fast food for our obese children. Is it Healthy, most likely not, but nor was 2 lbs of butter in Great Grandmas pound cake, but they weren't "obese". Our children are un-healthy because "we", as parents, are LAZY! What ever happened to the word "NO"? I never owned a power-wheel, I had a bike *gasp* one you had to PEDAL! I went outside first thing in the morning and you had to BEG me to come in to eat. Our kids sit in front of the TV or Video games or Computers all day long and eat junk, not because that is all that's available, because it is easy.

Which brings me to my next rant...

I realize that boxed Mac and cheese and Canned Ravioli and McDs Dollar menu are quite inexpensive and simple for the busy mom, I too am guilty of looking at the time hearing My kids beg for pizza or a happy meal and give in, its a convenience! But why IS it so much cheaper, the government is saying we need to eat healthier so make it CHEAPER! I have the luxury of a garden, well not really luxury it is a lot of work! Not everyone has the time or space for it. I certainly cannot feed us for more than a few months from our harvests. I can buy the store brand Mac-n-cheese in a box for around .79 cent, to make homemade I have to buy noodles usually somewhere around $1, canned milk also around $1 and cheese which even store brand costs you around $3 and that is if you only put ONE cheese in your mac, not to mention the electricity to bake it and the time to shred the cheese cook the noodles etc! So I say if the Government is going to make Mcdonald's take their happy meal toys away then they should make Kraft stop making sponge bob shaped noodles in the mac, make Campbell stop making Dora soup, no more fun cereal or gummy snacks, or ice cream shaped as a super hero. I get that times have changed, there are more working moms lots of after school activities that make people have busy lives, I understand that, believe me I have three kids! I just wish everyone could see it is OUR fault, not the companies.

anyway end rant.

Much love, I promise it will be sooner than MONTHS before I post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment