Monday, May 5, 2014

A tale of the Kamikaze mocking bird...


Birds, I love birds. I have memories of watching birds as a child with my Grandaddy. We would watch and listen and find out what kind of birds they were. It has stuck with me through the years, I enjoy it. The kids and I feed the birds too.




an innocent bird just flying about, little did I know what was to come.

The birds have been feeding all year off of our feeders. The mocking birds are mean to the other birds and I often shoo them off.
Last year a mocking bird landed on the roof every.single.morning. and mimicked a car alarm as if he was casting to be a minion in 'Despicable Me 2'



Anyway, this year they are mimicking Jake's "please let me back in whine", it's annoying, amazing but extremely annoying!
Mocking birds apparently were a hot item back in the day, before technology ruined them with its sound. They were captured and sold because of their beautiful song repertoire.
In 'To Kill A Mockingbird' Miss Maudie says 'Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.'
She forgets to tell you that they try to eat your eyeballs when protecting their young/nest.
So these birds that I have been feeding and caring for have made a nest in my holly bush by the garage. This weekend I innocently went to throw a limb by the garage and out of no where a bird ninja comes flying after my head screeching like I had just killed one of his babies wings spread feet stuck out for perfect clawing of the skull beak ready to eat my eyeballs out. I screamed and walked away still unsure of what on earth had just transpired, later, the oldest and the youngest were outside and apparently Gavin got a little close and the bird started to attack him and pull his hair out! I have since been attacked 7 times, Jason 4 and poor Jake! I can barely leave Jake out by his dog house because the bird is pecking him in the head and butt for fear he is after their babies. So Day in and Day out these birds are staking out the yard they perch on the roof of the garage, the roof of the house and on the swing set just waiting for someone (or another bird) to enter THEIR territory.

I broke down the anatomy of the mocking bird for you (yes I spelled Kamikaze wrong, yes I am sorry, no I am not changing it)you may have to click it so you can read it.

in short, Mockingbirds are Jerks. They are like the bully of the bird world. If you see a mockingbird making a nest in one of your bushes you may want to consider knocking it down before she can lay her eggs (calm down the male bird makes several nests and the female chooses which is the best for their little family). Unless of course you like to have bald spots and corneal abrasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment