Monday, September 12, 2011

You can do so much more when you have so much less.

I have noticed myself dragging this past week after the hurricane. I am not driven, or energetic I am just, blah. When we lost power, the house was cleaner the kids were happier, the coffee was stronger (lol) the meals were amazing. I did so much more when I had less. No TV, internet, phone or ipad, no hot water for 2 hour bubble baths, there it was, time, I had time and I was driven to survive.

Isn't it strange?

Then I got to thinking, maybe I should be a minimalist, I mean what can I really do with 58 pairs of underwear and 18 bras? who needs 115 pairs of socks? Can you really use all 28 mugs that you have been collecting over the years or the china that serves 16? All the knick-knacks and collectibles that I have to dust constantly, what good are they really doing? Why is it we fill our lives so full of items that mean nothing? That new shirt that you saw at The Gap that you are dying to have and will pinch scrimp and save all $80 to buy it, will it really MAKE you happy? Sure, maybe for the first year but then what? Next season will be a whole new line and yet again you will be saving $80 again for another shirt that will last a season. The things that really make me happy... Seeing my children smile, Gavins dimples, Walkers freckles, Avery's laugh. Jake or Dreamer wagging their tails and licking all over my face when I pet them. watching the sunset, sitting at the ocean, getting kisses, snuggle time, standing on a mountain top, or a valley floor...all FREE. Sure, you need money to survive (food, clothing, shelter), but I have 300 cable channels and I bet I watch 10 if that. What are we really doing? Keeping up with the Jones'? who cares who just bought 6 flat screens for every room of their house or has that brand new Escalade, it isn't making them happy, I promise you. Some people do have it all, material and love and can still live with-in their means, but those of us that can't afford that awesome backyard, car, stereo system and top of the line wardrobe and TRY to get it, we drown ourselves so far in debt to have this 'happiness' that was there all along.

So this month when you write that check for that credit card bill or that $800 car payment, or that $5000 house payment. Hug your kids, kiss your spouse, watch the sunset and tell me, which made you happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment